[dmd-beta] Fw: lucky winner

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Aug 16 10:29:26 PDT 2012

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 13:09:56 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> No spam, no heuristic bullshit, no false positives. So yes, it
> *IS* possible, and not at all difficult. You'd be surprised just how
> few leaks there really are to email harvesters. Most systems are
> surprisingly resistent to leaking out addresses. Just not public
> mailing lists.

In my experience, the primary source of spam is from mailing lists with leaks
via friends accounts knowing my address being another. I don't generally get
spam from addresses I use with stores. Most of my e-mail accounts have very
little spam, and if I were getting enough spam, I'd seriously consider getting
a new account. But even the spam from the mailing list is low enough that it's
not all that big an issue (and I _never_ use spam filters without still looking
at every e-mail to verify that it's spam - I just can't trust that it's going
to be smart enough never to throw away something that I care about). But I
probably should have obfuscated my e-mail address that I use for mailing lists
the last time that I changed it (not much point now though).

However, as much as I agree that considering any level of spam as acceptable
and normal is a bit off, I still much prefer dealing with a mailing list than a
newsgroup, since then I actually have syncing of what I've read across
computers via IMAP. But it _is_ a bit odd that the beta list isn't treated the
same as the others with regards to what interfaces it provides.

- Jonathan M Davis