[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:59:14 PDT 2012

On 27-Jul-12 12:48, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 27, 2012, at 08:54 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen <xtzgzorex at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Since always? I mean, nobody actually uses cmd.exe on Windows, do they?
>>

>> First, shell scripts are not portable. You have to be very careful which
>> language constructs you choose to use. It's very easy you suddenly use a
>> language construct that is an extension only available in a particular
>> shell.
> Then I think you mean those extensions aren't portable. :)
>
> Also, the script is written for zsh which is fully compatible with
> bash, which is available practically everywhere.
Nope. But say D script would indeed run on all interesting platforms.

>> It's literally the only platform without a shell installed by default,
>> and even then, getting a shell via MinGW or Cygwin is trivial.
>>

>> I don't agree. I wouldn't want to ask my users of an application/tool to
>> have to install MinGW or Cygwin. Preferably the shouldn't have to install
>> anything. That basically means native code.
> This is a script for use by developers, not by end users. Can you
> honestly develop on Windows without MinGW/Cygwin
I can and in fact do. Personally, I find shell scripts durty &
unreliable. Quick & dirty is the first thing that comes to mind when I
think shell scrip.  Yeah you may use them to do `this thing` on *NIX,
but proposing them as portable tool - just meh.

--
Dmitry Olshansky