[dmd-beta] Time for a new beta

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Fri Mar 30 06:22:21 PDT 2012

On 30 Mar 2012, at 13:13, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> An error (with a line number) would be even better than an assert in
> many cases, as it would at least give an indication of what need to be
> changed to work around the compiler bug.

+1, in cases where reasonable location information can be given easily.
Avoiding segfaults is certainly an important step in terms of perceived
quality, but I think that giving the user at least a diffuse idea of
what piece of code triggered the bug when searching for a workaround
(without needing to know how to dump DMD source location data from
inside GDB) would help greatly reducing the frustration in »Help, DMD
ICEs on my 20-module project and I have no idea what to do« cases.

Of course, this is only applicable to a fairly small share of all bugs,
and without understanding the problem and thus probably being able to
fix the bug anyway, the information given might always be off somewhat,
but as long as a message is easy to add…

David