[dmd-beta] Time for a new beta

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:40:47 PDT 2012

On 30 March 2012 15:22, David Nadlinger <code at klickverbot.at> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2012, at 13:13, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>>
>> An error (with a line number) would be even better than an assert in
>> many cases, as it would at least give an indication of what need to be
>> changed to work around the compiler bug.
>

> +1, in cases where reasonable location information can be given easily.
> Avoiding segfaults is certainly an important step in terms of perceived
> quality, but I think that giving the user at least a diffuse idea of what
> piece of code triggered the bug when searching for a workaround (without
> needing to know how to dump DMD source location data from inside GDB) would
> help greatly reducing the frustration in »Help, DMD ICEs on my 20-module
> project and I have no idea what to do« cases.
>
> Of course, this is only applicable to a fairly small share of all bugs, and
> without understanding the problem and thus probably being able to fix the
> bug anyway, the information given might always be off somewhat, but as long
> as a message is easy to add…

It's not easy to add. There are about **75** open ICE bugs ( I got it
down to 11 once, but it's crept back up - sigh).
At least if there is an assert failure, you know instantly that it was
a compiler bug, and you can search bugzilla.

There are three unpatched segfaults I found ( 6358,  6951=7478, 7602)
+ the infinite loop (7140)
+ two I've got pull requests for (7380 7639) + two which seem to be
already fixed in git master (6723 7709).
So it's quite manageable to deal them all.