[dmd-beta] D 2.062 beta

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Tue Feb 12 00:27:24 PST 2013

On 10.02.2013 23:46, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 2/10/2013 12:51 PM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>
>> My suggestion is trying to make it work out of the box for most
>> installations while removing version specific code from the compiler
>> itself.
>>

> I can agree with that. I'm not so sure that should go into this release.
> I also suspect we are reinventing JSON files badly with dmd.conf. Maybe
> dmd.conf should be redone as a json file.

I think it's ok not to modify the configuration file format in this
release (as long as it is addressed in the next). It would be good to
change the installer to use a separate library folder lib64 and to use
the [Environment64] section in the default sc.ini.

Format of the ini file is an unrelated issue. I guess Windows users are
more familiar with ini files than with JSON, which adds syntactical
noise for features that are currently unused. Being standardized it's
also more problematic to modify the format with functionality like the
proposed "?=" to set a value only if it isn't set in the environment yet
(though other syntax might be invented like prepending a
"%@no_overwrite%" to the value).