[dmd-beta] Cherry-picking II

Andrew Edwards edwards.ac at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 13:07:02 PST 2014

On 2/2/14, 2:04 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Well, my opinion is that the quest to find a "simple" process is
> leading to reinventing the wheel with a fork and a spoon rather than a
> hammer and chisel. This new issue is not a new problem and would have
> been addressed with the appropriate process of creating pull requests
> against the release branch, or even merging to the release branch
> instead of master. But there seems to be some confusion about this
> (now that it has come up as a replacement for writing notes back and
> forth).

I agree with you that what we are doing now complicates matters more. It
is not my choice that I made the decision to cherry-pick commits to the
release branch, rather it is compromise that promotes forward progress.
Fact is, only three people adhered to the request to create pull
requests against the release branch and there are a lot more
contributors than that. Honestly I believe this is the best approach but
no matter how good one things a particular approach is, if no one is
doing it, it serves no purpose.

> In your last email you took issue of adding a second review step, when
> the first doesn't get any attention. This is wrong, dead wrong. There
> should not be two reviews, there should only ever be one single pull
> request and that request should get the review.

I took issue with it because by adding this extra step, we are inducing
additional delay in the entire process. As you said, one review should
suffice. All that's left to do after that is flip a switch indicating
that it needs to be in the release branch. This can be accomplish in one
of two ways: 1) set the Asignee to AndrewEdwards following the merge; 2)
Set the Milestone to 2.065 anytime during the creation, review or merger
of the request. Come to think of it, a combination of the two would
probably provide the best solution. The author assigns the milestone
when creating the pull. Upon seeing this milestone the reviewer assigns
the pull to me after the merge. A two step process that requires one
additional step from two different people.

> Yes, this approach does require involvement of the patch contributors,
> but that is already true. The contributor is already tackling
> regressions for the new release, so they're already aware of where
> this fix needs to go. It just requires them to check out the release
> branch on the three repos before starting.

Though I'd like this to happen, I really doubt it is going to.
Therefore, in order not to prolong the process, I've decided not to
pursue this direction any longer.