[dmd-beta] Preparation for 2.65

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Mon Jan 13 08:38:53 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Simplified_Release_Process_Proposal

Even though I'm not sure whether this proposal is the best choice, let
me point out that it gets one point very right, compared to the
current state: After a release is created, the branch needs to be
merged back into master. Otherwise, people just tracking the release
tags (like we tend to do for the ldc druntime/Phobos repositories)
will usually get a slew of conflicts due to commits cherry-picked onto
the release branch or conflicting release-only changes.

Doing this at the point of the release has the advantage that the
release manager is the one who knows what went where for what reasons,
and that they still have all the details in their working memory.

I suspect that liberal use of cherry-picking will make this process a
bit more annoying than necessary, but it could be that the
simplification of the process indeed outweighs this extra bit of
effort.

David