[dmd-internals] DVCS and patches feedback [was: dmd commit, revision 515]

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 3 21:05:18 PDT 2010

On 6/3/2010 8:51 PM, Benjamin Shropshire wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>> And this last issue is independent of the DVCS, seriously Walter, please
>
> Is there any part of using a DVCS that fundamentally couldn't be had
> with a branches directory in the current SVN repo? If anyone with a
> dsource account could request a branch to play around in, what but a
> given UI would be different?

There's a lot of useful features:
  1) private local branches
  2) full source history so you can diff and explore offline
  3) isolation from failures of 'the central repo'
  4) exchanging changes quickly and easily between non-central repos
      (ok, you might argue that one is just #1 and #3 combined)

Likely several more will occur to me right after hitting send. :)

I actually like git quite a lot, but I still argue that it's learning curve /
brick wall makes it user unfriendly enough to not bother.  ie, the startup costs
make the benefit hard to justify.  There's so many OTHER process changes I'd
like to see that are totally independent from the way we manage source that I'd
rather work on those first.

Later,
Brad