[dmd-internals] dmd commit, revision 663

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 7 01:02:40 PDT 2010

On 7 September 2010 09:03, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/2010 11:25 PM, dsource.org wrote:
>> dmd commit, revision 663
>>

>> user: braddr
>>
>> msg:
>> Changes to run on win32 under cygwin.
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/changeset/663
>>

> The test suite that is.. not the compiler, though that'd be a rather interesting
> project all by itself. :)
>
> So far, I've only tested the quick version on win32.  The time it takes to run
> just that subset under windows/cygwin is embarassingly slow (3 minutes on linux
> vs 18 minutes on windows -- not exactly the same hardware, but close enough).
> I've been focused on 'get it runnable' and have deferred the speed issues.  But
> 18 minutes is unacceptably slow, imho.  I don't want to think about how long
> it'd take to run every argument combination.
>
> My plan at this point is to replace the makefile+do_test.sh with a c++ or d
> executable.  I'm tempted to use D, but that introduces a bootstrapping concern
> as well as a reliability concern.

I think we should be dogfooding as much as we can. Also, we could do
some more interesting things with a D test program.

> I've enabled the dmd tests in the win32 auto-tester, so those results will start
> showing up hourly now too.

I get this:

Running runnable tests
gnumake[1]: *** No rule to make target `test_results/runnable/A16.d.out', needed
 by `run_runnable_tests'.  Stop.
gnumake: *** [start_runnable_tests] Error 2

(gnumake is just cygwin make, renamed). Any ideas?