[dmd-internals] dmd commit, revision 663

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 7 12:23:39 PDT 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> Brad Roberts wrote:
> > My plan at this point is to replace the makefile+do_test.sh with a c++ or d
> > executable.  I'm tempted to use D, but that introduces a bootstrapping
> > concern
> > as well as a reliability concern.
> >

> I'd also like to see the tests being run from a D program (hey, rdmd is
> supposed to be used like a script language, so it should be up to the task).
> The ddmd-project has started building the test suite with such a tool
> recently, but I think it does not have make functionality yet.

That's several votes for having a D based driver.  I'm still concerned
about the same two issues I already raised:

1) bootstrapping D for new platforms -- the more that has to work before
the tests can be easily executed the more pain involved.

2) if the D compiler is broken then there's a chance the test suite could
show false success.

Both aren't terribly problematic, just give me pause.

I'm really shocked at how bad msys and cygwin are compared to linux.  Are
windows process startup times really that bad?

> > I've enabled the dmd tests in the win32 auto-tester, so those results will
> > start
> > showing up hourly now too.
> >

> That's already pretty cool to have. A few thoughts:
>
> - I think the svn-revisions of the checkouts would be helpful
> - to avoid too many identical builds, it should not rebuild if there are no
> changes to the repositories.
> - I'd like the most recent tests per platform to be separated a little from
> the rest, so you can immediately see the current status.

If you've looked under the covers at the script.. that support is sorta
there.  It was one of the first things I wanted to do, but decided that
getting it just iterating first was more important.

I like that last one.. I was looking at the table this morning before
heading to work and did a little pondering on what it needed.  Some basic
filtering would be useful too.. like show just platform X.

It'd be nice to add ldc and gdc into the mix too, though I'm focused
pretty much just on v2 at the moment.  I'd also be happy to let someone
submit results for osx, fbsd, etc if there's a volunteer to host the
builder client.

Later,
Brad