[dmd-internals] dmd commit, revision 663

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 7 18:01:55 PDT 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >
> > I boo and hiss not at the language, but at the existence of shell.exe. It's
> > an extremely peculiar program with a weird spec and with an extremely
> > generic name. Define testrunner or something, not shell.exe.
> >

> Renaming shell is fine, and is certainly easier than reimplementing it.
>
> Whether it is peculiar or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is is it good
> for running test suites?

As far as I'm concerned, one gigantic script of all the commands for all
the tests per platform isn't an acceptable solution.  It 'works', but it's
well below my 'good enough' bar.  I do agree that the code, as it stands,
is unacceptable on windows.

Regardless.. with what I got done this weekend, I think we're several
important steps ahead of where we've been for the last couple years.