[dmd-internals] Deprecation warnings and a trivial man page patch

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Tue Jul 12 20:38:39 PDT 2011

Michel Fortin, el 12 de julio a las 21:40 me escribiste:
> Le 2011-07-12 à 19:32, Leandro Lucarella a écrit :
>
> > Hi, I just wanted to hand you a patch I did to add a new option to show
> > deprecation messages as warnings (-di), following the discussion in the
> > announcement group. I know I should probably get an account in github
> > and do those pull requests everybody talks about, but it's too much
> > trouble for an occasional collaboration, I hope you are willing to take
> > a look at the patches and apply them if you like them (and if not, any
> > feedback would be appreciated). I didn't do a lot of testing either,
> > because is not trivial at all to set up a testing environment for the
> > compiler, so testing would be appreciated too (I know is easy to run the
> > test suite once you have a proper development environment set up). See
> > the patch descriptions for more details.
> >
> > I hope you find the patches useful.
>
> Turned them into pull requests.
>
> <https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/244>
> <https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/245>

Thanks for that.

> But then I had to close the pull request about deprecation warnings.
>
> Not only it fails the test suite (I should have checked sooner), but
> for some strange reasons it generates errors while compiling druntime,
> and those errors aren't fatal as they should and thus don't prevent
> the build from being successful. They're also pretty strange
> considering the nature of the changes:
>
> src/core/thread.d(3723): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(2845): Error: undefined identifier GetSystemInfo
> src/core/thread.d(2854): Error: undefined identifier _SC_PAGESIZE
> src/core/thread.d(2895): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(3199): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(3206): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(3302): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(3332): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(3370): Error: undefined identifier ucontext_t
> src/core/thread.d(3464): Error: undefined identifier VirtualAlloc
> src/core/thread.d(3574): Error: undefined identifier VirtualAlloc

And thanks for the testing too. That happened using -di, -d or neither?

I thought it might be that when a symbol is deprecated it might not be
added to the symbol table, but I can't find any place where that
happens, and all those symbols doesn't look like they are deprecated
anyway, right?