[dmd-internals] generating pull requests for DMD

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon May 30 09:44:49 PDT 2011

I think we should create a "Contribute" page on the Digitalmars site and the d-programming-language.org site.

On 29 May, 2011,at 10:53 PM, Robert Clipsham <robert at octarineparrot.com> wrote:

On 29 May 2011 19:13, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
For those doing compiler patches, I know it's a tough job, and thanks!

But please consider running the dmd test suite (and try to build/run phobos unittests) before issuing a pull request. There are a lot of interdependencies in the compiler, and the test suite is designed to flush them out. The cool thing is the test suite consists of cases that are already minimized! The suite also is designed to not take that long to run.

I run it constantly when I do dev on the compiler, and I constantly get dinged by it for something I overlooked. I consider the D test suite to be a major asset for us.

Please use it. If you've got problems using it, please post here and we'll try to help.

I advise you add a README.md to the root of the dmd repository with contents looking something like:
----
# DigitalMars D Compiler and Test Suite

Compiler and test suite for the D programming language - http://d-programming-language.org/

## Building

Replace $OS with windows, linux, osx, freebsd, solaris or openbsd depending on your operating system.

    cd src
    make -f $OS.mak

## Pull Requests

When creating pull requests, please make sure to run the test suite before! Even if it's a small change and you think it's not needed - you'd be surprised what a small change can break!

## Running the test suite

I actually don't know how to do this, but some instructions should go here. Also take a look at http://github.github.com/github-flavored-markdown/ for information on formatting in this file.
----

I could clean this up and make a pull request if you're interested? ;)

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/