[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 04:56:53 PST 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 5:39 AM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2011 6:23 AM, Jason House wrote:
>>
>> I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to set up a workflow where Walter does more than one pull request at a time. After testing all individual pulls, the auto tester could try testing all (passing) pulls from a single author all applied on top of each other. If that larger test passes, then maybe it could save several steps for Walter by handling multiple pull requests at once?
>
> I've avoided multiple pulls at once, because when they fail it's just miserable.

Step 1 is to make that less miserable :) while there are a git few operations that violate this rule, you can use the following mental model: every commit in git creates an immutable struct that points to its parent nodes. The heads of branches are pointers to these nodes. Regardless of what you've done over the last two hours, your original state is state is still there. All you have to do is reset that pointer and the rest will (eventually) get garbage collected.

Personally, I use gitk a lot for a graphical view, but "git log" works fine too. Once you find the sha1 id, you can pass that to reset --hard.

It is very simple as long as you haven't pushed your changes to the public repository. Once things are in the public repository, others might have a copy and things get more complicated. I think github's pull button updates the public repository? Setting up your own remotes and doing pulls from them will give you extra flexibility.