[dmd-internals] To consume pull requests for trivial bugs

kenji hara k.hara.pg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 19:40:31 PDT 2012

I had been invited as dmd committer a month ago, but haven't been able
to consume pull requests.

The top three of pulls at 2012/08/20:
  37 pulls : my front-end changes
  17 pulls : yebblies's front-end changes
  13 pulls : dawgfoto's backend and front-end changes
-> 67/103 (65% of all pulls)
and, as far as I seen half of them are trivial bug fixes and LGTM.

But they are yet not merged by the following reasons.
#1. Some of them are mine, so I cannot merge without others reviewing.
#2. Some of them are already outdated, so I cannot merge them without
small fix-up.
    But, even if I add some fix-ups to them, I can not merge them by
the reason #1 .

I think the most problem is too few reviewers for dmd, but it's
difficult to solve in short term.

To solve the deadlocks, I'd like to suggest development process improvements.

For #1:
If the pull request passes the auto tester, I can merge without others
reviewing.
This is based on "reviewing after committing", but it seems to me that
would not be a problem,
because current dmd release cycle has "beta-phase" to fix regressions.

For #2:
I would add fixups in my local, and post pull requests which contains
it, then treats them as #1.

This is for only _trivial_ bug fixes, and not for big ones and enhancements.

How about?