[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Wed Jan 18 08:35:11 PST 2012

On 1/18/12 9:29 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu, el 18 de enero a las 07:49 me escribiste:
>> On 1/18/12 4:38 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> Andrei Alexandrescu, el 17 de enero a las 16:04 me escribiste:

>>> Why? You just repeated the same but didn't tell why :)
>>
>> Well the process is stalled for now. Walter didn't get trello.com to
>> work on XP/IE8 and considers that a showstopper.
>
> ENOPARSE

I meant the answer would be superfluous now that the entire process has
been stalled.

> Why you can't do that using bugzilla was the question, in case you want
> to answer it eventually :)

It's simple - planning software has means to rank and track large tasks
of coarse granularity. Bugzilla offers as far as I can tell ranking by
eight predefined severities ("enhancement" through "regression") but no
simple way to say "let me put this task ahead the other".  There's no
way to establish milestones and track progress for a task. There's no
way to show "top-level" tasks of which many other smaller tasks depend -
all you get is a flat view of thousands of issues.

I'm sure we could devise workarounds, but at best we should use for
collaborative planning something that is geared for collaborative planning.

Andrei