[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Jan 19 10:32:27 PST 2012

On Jan 18, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> Alex, el 18 de enero a las 18:46 me escribiste:
>> It's simple: It usually goes in both. You file a bug/enhancement
>> request/whatever on Bugzilla. People then post on Trello when they're
>> working on it, adding comments/changes as they make progress.
>
> So now to know the state or a bug I have to see 2 sites. Great!

This is annoying, but far from unusual.  For whatever reason, there simply aren't that many bug trackers that also have project management functionality, particularly once you're talking about free web-based apps.  DSource has Trac, and that's one of the few I'm aware of.  More important to me is that all of the D development tools (bug tracker, project tracker, wiki, etc) are placed front-and-center on the DPL webpage so there's no chance that anything could be missed.  Integration could be taken further via a blog or whatever, so project changes were automatically posted, and so on.  BugZilla is a foregone conclusion at this point, since it's already in place and integrated.  So the decision becomes whether we deal with the minimal project tracking functionality of BugZilla or add a new piece to the puzzle.

As an aside, I suppose it bears mentioning that one of our problems is simply that this is an open source project, so timelines and such can be difficult to project.  If I were working full-time on D I could make accurate statements about what I'd be working on, when it would be completed, etc.  As it is, when I have a spare moment for D I tend to jump on what seems to be the most important thing that specifically needs my input rather than working based on any sort of project plan.