[dmd-internals] [phobos] Please rename your remote github repos

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Dec 27 22:17:19 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 07:55:34PM -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> We've been using the remote name "upstream" instead of the default
> "origin", and that's quickly becoming lava (some people first clone
> our repos and then try to use update.sh etc leading to confusion).
>
> So we should just use "upstream" for the mothership and call it a
> day. Each of us has their own fork for which I don't know of a
> standardized name (I call mine "myfork").
[...]

I'm confused. I've had the tools repo forked and checked out, and I
haven't had a problem:

$ git remote -v
origin	git at github.com:quickfur/tools.git (fetch)
origin	git at github.com:quickfur/tools.git (push)
upstream	https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools.git (fetch)
upstream	https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools.git (push)
$

So what exactly am I supposed to rename here?

At least as far as github conventions go (I can't speak for git users in
general), your fork is usually tied to 'origin', and 'upstream' refers
to the where it forked from. Usually, you'd pull from 'upstream' (the
'official' repo, to get the latest updates), and push to 'origin' (your
fork, e.g., when making pull requests, or just syncing your fork to the
latest official repo).

I'm not sure what this has to do with this particular pull request,
though.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.  Imagination without skill gives us modern art. -- Tom Stoppard