[dmd-internals] shared gitconfig?

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Sun Jan 6 16:44:53 PST 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu, el  6 de January a las 14:39 me escribiste:
> Hello,
>

> I wonder how we can define a few aliases of project-wide usefulness
> to git. For example, I tried today to get the latest and greatest
> phobos into my repo, and got a bunch of conflicts. I searched a
> while on the net to figure what the command for "just get the latest
> remote into my local copy", which is entirely possible but not
> obvious and not easy to find. I got it from here:
> http://goo.gl/pWvVB and the invocation is:
>
> git pull --rebase -s recursive -X ours
>
> which does work like a charm. So I wanted to define a macro called
> "pull-force" like this:
>
> # Inside ~/.gitconfig
> [alias]
>     pull-force = pull --rebase -s recursive -X ours
>
> This, too, works great.
>
> What I'd want to do next is define the alias such that other
> participants to the dlang project may use it. With time we'd collect
> a good set of macros that help our process.

I think that's a bad idea. How you do things in git is a personal issue,
and I don't want to automatically get any aliases put in my
configuration. You could distribute a list of suggested aliases, but
each developer should decide if they want to add them to their git
config or not.

Usually there is no unique way to do things in git, git adapts to each
persons preferred workflow. Please don't mess with that.

And the case you presented is not a very common case (or it shouldn't
be). I can't see why you would want an alias for this.

> What is the best way to share a few git config items among all
> participants to dmd, druntime, phobos etc?

Add a text file like README.git-tips. Document it somewhere else (the
Wiki for example).