[dmd-internals] Automatic Pull Merging!

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Fri Nov 15 10:06:09 PST 2013

Jacob Carlborg, el 15 de November a las 18:02 me escribiste:
> On 15 nov 2013, at 15:17, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar> wrote:
>
> > This is awersome!
> >
> > What do you think about rebasing instead? I always hated GitHub for
> > using merge, and specially for using --no-ff option, it makes the
> > history unreadable as a graph (duplicating basically each bugfix
> > commit).
> >
> > The auth issues are the same though, except for the fact that if you
> > don't rebase as the user that triggered the "merge", there is no way to
> > say somebody else did it. But honestly, the "committer" information is
> > so important to the point of completely screwing the repo history with
> > tons of noise?
> >

> > Anyway, really nice job!
>
> I completely agree. The default should be a fast forward then there
> should be an option to select non fast forward next to the merge
> button.

I even talk about taking it further than FF merge, just do a rebase, so
you don't have merges at all, unless you are really merging long lived
branches or large topic branches.

Just as a reminder, this is why I ended up building a too, to "merge"
pull request by rebasing them instead of merging:
https://github.com/sociomantic/git-hub