[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 22 19:28:38 PDT 2014

On 6/22/2014 2:15 PM, David Nadlinger via dmd-internals wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2014, at 20:38, Walter Bright via dmd-internals wrote:
>> It's still a good idea, as I'm not sure what issues may come up about it in
>> the future. We've had contributors disappear before, questions come up, and
>> we were forced to abandon their contributions as a result.
>
> Putting aside all the other reasons why I think requiring copyright assignment
> now is a really bad idea:
>
> 1. What instance of troubles are you referring to, specifically?

Jascha Wetzel wrote a Windows debugger in D, for example. His license was
incompatible, he disappeared, his project was abandoned as a result. Then
there's the case of the Tango code, such as the excellent XML parser - can't be
incorporated into dmd because of the license. All that value got abandoned;
nobody benefited from it. What a waste.

> 2. How would a dubious copyright assignment give you any more security than
> licensing a contribution under Boost?

If issues come up that only the copyright holder can resolve, we will be
completely unable to resolve them. For example, I needed assignments in order to
change the license to Boost. If one major contributor had refused, then where
would we be?

> Also note that systematically requiring copyright assignment before merging a
> change on GitHub is not something we are currently doing. I was just not sure
> whether it is something you want to start doing.

I don't think it's critical for smallish contributions, as they can be worked
around if necessary. For larger ones, yes.

You say you're worried about something with this - can you explain? What's
"really bad" about it?