[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 24 20:33:14 PDT 2014

On 6/24/2014 5:19 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:

>    C.6) You wrote earlier that "the credit has a lot of value to one's
> professional career", and I couldn't agree more. Yet at the same time, you are
> asking people for the permission to take it away from them. Regardless of
> whether you actually intend to do that or not, the simple possibility makes
> this a rude thing to do without a good reason.

I find this discussion rather exhausting. But I want to respond strongly to this
point. The CA simply does not take credit away from a contributor. Copyright
status has nothing to do with who did the work. For example, a book author
assigns copyright to the publisher, but nobody imagines that the publisher wrote
the book.

Most companies do attempt to hide from the outside world who did what. But this
project is not like that. We use github, and GIVING CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE
is one of the primary motivators for that. In fact, the source code to DMD does
not break out who did what lines of code and is entitled to credit, so even with
no CA, you'd STILL have to examine github to see what's what.

I'm proud that we're using github which enables ALL contributors to get public
credit for their work, automatically. Copyright status neither adds nor
subtracts from that.

I'm not asking for CA for phobos, because I think that any issues can be worked
around, i.e. the modules are replaceable. This is not so true of DMDFE. Trying
to unwind a major contributor's work is a completely daunting task. I don't want
to ever be faced with such a disaster. I don't have a well-financed phalanx of
lawyers to bulldoze past such problems. And would the OTHER contributors to DMD
care to have their good work made useless because one other contributor is no
longer willing or available to give their consent to a change? The worst thing
that could happen to DMD contributors is to have their work abandoned. Me, I
don't want to expend my life doing things that would be abandoned, and I expect
other open source contributors to feel the same way.

As I recall, there were 5 authors of Tango XML. 4 agreed to change the license,
one refused. The 4 got their work thrown away because it was inextricably
intermingled with the 5th. I don't want that to happen to DMD contributors.

When the Boost license is used, one essentially has already agreed to give up
their rights to the code. What right is being usefully retained by not doing the
CA? If someone has a real issue with that, I am more than willing to talk with
them and see if a resolution can be found.

If anyone is still unsure of my intentions, recall that I repeatedly offered to
the Tango team that I granted permission to them to use ANY of my D code, and
they could relicense their fork of it as they saw fit. I did not oblige them to
reciprocate, and they did not, but I'd still do it again.