[dmd-internals] Pulling D language enhancements

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 10 22:02:48 PDT 2014

On 10/10/2014 3:44 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> On 10/10/2014 12:14 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> I can't say I've seen you making bad decisions because of this.  In an
>> ideal world you wouldn't be put in this position, but it's a lot
>> better than the alternative of_never_  getting a decision on
>> enhancements.
>>
>> I've pulled quite a few enhancements. The changelog is full of them.
> And how many of those didn't have pull requests?

I don't understand the point of the question. All of the changes had pull requests.

>>> I would consider both of those merged enhancements as arguably making
>>> existing features work correctly.
>> This thread is not about whether those were good enhancements or not, it's
>> about the process.
>>
> The process is broken because you obviously don't have time to
> manually approve every single pull request that could potentially be
> seen as an enhancement.  I think it's reasonable for decisions on
> enhancements that can reasonably be seen as 'removing unnecessary
> limitations and inconsistencies of existing features' to be made by
> contributors other than you.

I understand where you're coming from, and I understand that it's frustrating to
funnel things through me. I'm fine with Team DMD pulling bug fixes,
optimizations, refactorings, platform support, etc., that's why you guys are on
the team. But language changes are a much higher bar than any person on the team
deciding to pull it. There are a lot more consequences to such changes. We must
be very cautious about these, as we'll have to live with mistakes for a long
time. They need to fit into the long term goals of D, not a local problem. I'm
uncomfortable with the idea of changes being small - I've blocked enhancements
in the past because they had consequences that weren't too obvious, or I thought
that a simpler solution needed to be found, etc. I'd also like to make sure
there's adequate time for people to find things wrong that nobody noticed, or to
find better solutions, again because the consequences of a mistake are so much
higher. Also, many times there are reasons why things are they way they are that
I have failed to communicate properly, and enhancing them out of existence can
break them. I also have a larger responsibility to ensure that D works for all
our users, not just the ones active on the n.g., and I must represent our silent
users.

I'm fine with people emailing me and pestering me for a review of any particular
change that has bubbled to the top in importance.