[dmd-internals] Jira?

Martin Nowak via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 20 03:22:56 PDT 2015

On 05/31/2015 07:16 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals wrote:
> I'll be curious what Martin thinks of this.
>
> * This looks like a random change of a tool that works, for benefits
> that seem small and an overhaul that seems large.

A tool on it's own doesn't fix our workflow, but if we fix our workflow,
then Jira might
be a better tool to integrate issue tracking and planning.

> * We are trying trello for management. This is the second attempt to
> introduce it, by Martin; first, by me, was a failure. Sadly this one
> also doesn't seem to fare very well.

Same as above, b/c nobody took the time to participate. A tool can't
magically fix our workflow, we need everyone to take the time, learn the
process and find a better workflow for us.
For example we don't have sprint meetings yet and hardly anyone but me
has created cards.

> * Don't take this personally, but we've had a pattern of strong
> up-and-coming folks without a track record and proposing a large change
> with "trust me it'll be better" written all over it. Invariably those
> have been flashes in the pan. If I remember correctly, one of such
> initiatives was from yourself. Again, don't take this personally but it
> is my opinion that if you or anyone wants to impact the community, the
> one way is to consistently get work done on issues that matter.

> * I believed D has had a management problem for a good while, until I
> figured it doesn't. We are in need of talent. I understand how being at
> DConf - it's a good conference and those are inspiring - instills one
> with the impression that there's just a lot of folks ready to work but
> are not organized properly.

You're missing a 2 important points.
We're killing a lot of work at the last moment, b/c there is no way to
plan work upfront. And it's difficult to do "important" work b/c it's
hardly possible to get the necessary attention.
Both points are clear management/communication problems.

Take the "AA proof of concept" as an example.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/1282

Look at all the recently reverted pulls or the famous const(Object)ref
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3 change.

All of these create a high level of frustration and can be easily
addressed with very little communication.

Part of the problem is inherent in github's pull request workflow.
I think we should shift a bit towards more upfront planned work by core
contributors and planned collaborations on particular topics with other
contributors. Pull request continue to work fine for small scale
fixes/additions, but are flawed for huge contributions.