[dmd-internals] New DIP handling process

Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 14 15:04:58 PDT 2016

My opinion in the matter is: there must be some protocol that guarantees
consideration by the leadership. Can it be abused? Yes, just like
standardization processes can and are, just how legal systems are, etc.
But by and large they are a good thing, and we need to have one. For my
part I'd be hypocritical if I can afford time to participate in the
meandering chatter on the forums, yet refuse to devise a way for the
appropriately determined to get my attention.

Of course there needs to be appropriate filtering, otherwise anyone can
put obfuscated or just poor content into standard DIP format and
transform DIP reviewing into an inefficient full-time job. This is what
seems to be missing from the current proposal. I think a DIP should
reach some form of consensus in the community discussion before it being
eligible for formal review.

Another thing we should add is a structured form of interaction. Say
there's a DIP there and the core team has a number of proposed changes
and also a number of questions. The changes seem to be a good fit for
pull requests against the DIP. How about the questions? What is a good
mechanism for asking and addressing them? From what I see in the
proposal the DIP manager is the middleman in that, presumably using
email for communication. (Things should be clearly formalized even if
that's the basic structure.)

DIPs should be more structured themselves. To the extent we preserve
structure from the wiki DIPs that should be clearly stated and
templated. Probably we need more than that, seeing as plenty of poor
DIPs do follow the required structure. I'm thinking at least a PR
against the language/library specification showing what changes to those
would be needed in order to describe the proposed feature.

Generally, let's get this done. Thanks Dicebot for the initiative.

Thanks,

Andrei