[dmd-internals] DMD bootstrapping version requirements

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 17 02:56:20 PST 2017

On 2/16/2017 7:43 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> Why exactly do you need that switch to convert the backend?  As long
> as the source files are passed on the command line and have a module
> declaration then they don't care which directory they are in.

I want to use separate compilation for the back end, rather than lumping it into
one big compile. One reason is asserts cannot be turned off for the back end.
(They are for the front end for compilation speed reasons.)

Incremental compile times become excessive, because everything has to be recompiled.

Tracking down a compiler bug can get hard when one cannot use separate
compilation. It's a bitch tracking them down in Phobos, but at least I can cut
things down to size with separate compilation. I just did that for
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6546, and I'm not so sure I could have found
it without separate compilation - it certainly would have taken much, much longer.