[Greylist-users] Re: A Greylisting idea.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Jun 22 22:00:29 PDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Eric S wrote:

> to have passed the greylist test), then it could update the existing
> database entry to use a wildcard match for the LHS of the envelope-from,
> to get around the issue with lists that send messages from a different
> address every time for bounce tracking.

Our commercial product (CanIt) works like this:

- We chop off everything after a "+" in the sender address.  This takes
care of the Sendmail "plus" hack.

- We chop off everything matching /-\d[^@]*\@/ in the sender address.

Thus:

	foo+bar at domain.net  --> foo at domain.net
	psql-bounce-12937 at bar.com --> psql-bounce at bar.com

This takes care of all of the address-tracking cases I've seen so far.
We tell our customers to explicitly whitelist any others, though, in case
someone comes up with a different format for address tracking.

--
David.