[Greylist-users] Some real world figures from a small domain

martin dempsey mjd at digitaleveryware.com
Mon Jun 23 17:59:17 PDT 2003

> Initially, I thought the same thing, so I ran that scenario past Evan a
> few weeks ago.  He showed me the way to enlightenment. (bows head, gong
> sounds).

Good. It seems to be working. Even the Mirapoint server eventually got the
messages through. Here are some real world figures from a small domain I am
using for testing (about 20 users). Figures are for the last 12 hours (and
the first twelve hours of greylisting):

----------------------

mysql> select count(*),sum(blocked_count), sum(passed_count) from relaytofrom;
+----------+--------------------+-------------------+
| count(*) | sum(blocked_count) | sum(passed_count) |
+----------+--------------------+-------------------+
|      147 |                505 |                83 |
+----------+--------------------+-------------------+

mysql> select count(*),passed_count,sum(passed_count) from relaytofrom group
by passed_count;
+----------+--------------+-------------------+
| count(*) | passed_count | sum(passed_count) |
+----------+--------------+-------------------+
|       89 |            0 |                 0 |
|       50 |            1 |                50 |
|        4 |            2 |                 8 |
|        3 |            3 |                 9 |
|        1 |           16 |                16 |

So about 89 messages  were blocked completely (so far, a few of them are
probably in progress and will succeed in the next couple hours). And 83
messages were delivered. Of the 83 delivered messages, 58 were delayed by
greylisting. Of course this is the first 12 hours so the percentage of
messages delayed is going to be very high. By definition, the percentage
delayed will always be 100% for the first hour of greylisting. It will drop
from here over the next month as the database grows.