[Greylist-users] stats from big sites?

Ken Raeburn raeburn at raeburn.org
Sun Oct 26 16:41:36 PST 2003

Evan's paper says greylisting is being done at some sites handling
millions of messages per day, but most of the actual statistics I've
been able to dig up in the mail archives (granted, it's entirely
possible I missed some while skimming the subject lines) seem to be
from much smaller sites and/or short test runs, mostly by at least a
couple orders of magnitude.

I'm hoping to put forward a proposal for a site I get a lot of email
at that's closer to the high end of the spectrum.  One quarter last
year they averaged over a quarter million messages per day; I don't
know where they're at now.  Any available information from these
bigger sites would be useful, including implementation info (is
milter+perl+mysql good enough under heavy load?), real statistics
(users, messages, before-and-after comparisons, etc), and especially
not neglecting the negative aspects (user complaints, lost legitimate
email, random net sites needing whitelisting, database size (records
and megabytes)).

I also need to investigate resource (disk, CPU, memory) usage for
"learning" mode, when no mail is blocked.  I expect the initial
deployment would start with that, then enable blocking for a few test
addresses as a trial run; it would probably take some time before
they'd consider doing it for a lot of recipients, if I can get them
started on it at all.

I expect Evan's web page would be even more convincing with more
large-site stats, as well.

Does anyone have such stats that they'd be willing to share?

Ken
"We are Grey.  We stand between the spam and the light."