[Greylist-users] greylisting going large

Barb Dijker barb at netrack.net
Wed Apr 28 12:14:09 PDT 2004

I had it running for a few days with 500+ users.  I had to turn it off
for other reasons (milters broke my majordomo).  I'm still running it
on our corporate server.  But the greylisting saves SO MUCH other
processing on your mail server that it reduces your overall resource
load significantly.  When I turn it on again, I'll actually measure it.

I had similar results to the previous posting with well over 90% mail
failed and not retried.  A personal spam pot of mine went from over 300
messages/day to 1.  You will have cycles and ram to spare with
greylisting.  Think about reducing the load on your mail daemon by
90+%.  Then think about also 90+% less load on spamassassin, which can
be a real resource hog.  It is also 90+% less load on your virus
scanner if you have one because virus mail engines don't retry.
Overall a major win.

Barb Dijker
Netrack, Inc., 3080 Valmont Rd Ste 200, Boulder CO 80301
303.938.0188, toll free 1.888.9Netrack, fax 303.938.0177
www.netrack.net