[Greylist-users] Greylisting vs. 'Light' Greylisting

William Blunn bill--greylist at blunn.org
Thu Dec 2 07:29:32 PST 2004

> I talked to the guy who wrote it and suggested that he add the
> ability to only check the first 3 octets of the ip address.   He just
> added it.
>
> Example   123.123.123  vs. 123.123.123.123
>
> I can set it either way now.   The reason for this is some companies
> have multiple MTAs on the same subnet and it could cause a delay if
> the email bounces between MTAs a few times before a match is found.
>
> What are your thoughts and is my thinking sound.   Seems like light
> greylisting will be a little less effective but could help with delays
> or FPs

I use the same -- the /24 network of the sender.

(This is what Bagley does.)

I store the /24 network in one column and index on that so that
queries need only look for exact matches.

For reference, I store the entire IP address in another column; this
column is never used during normal operation, but storing it is
relatively cheap.

Bill