[Greylist-users] question about multiple mx

Franck Arnaud franck at nenie.org
Wed Jan 28 11:06:41 PST 2004

Ricardo Kirkner:

> I need to have those relays as a backup measure.

Do you? What is the benefit? If your backups are just relaying
to the master, it's completely pointless, because the original
senders can do that (retry) very well -- as we all know because
we use that feature in greylisting! Close down your relays
and the backup feature remains intact, distributed over
all incoming email senders. Why do you want to do something
the world is already happily doing for you?

By adding a backup relay you increase the potential of
failure in several ways:

* the relay can eat/lose messages silently
* any bounces that are delayed by the relaying move from
  being SMTP bounces to email bounces which is bad as
  it can generate harmful bounce traffic. SMTP
  bounces are more robust as you're usually talking
  directly to the virus/spammer who is not going to
  forward the bounce to a from address they forged
  themselves for instance.
* the relay can be abused by spammers as you have
  already discovered.

If you want a really effective and useful backup, you
should rather have one MX entry with backup SMTP servers
that can take over the master. When the master fails,
you change the MX entry or the IP of the mail server
to be the new one, or put the new server on the same IP.

I note some large ISPs have a single MX, maybe for
this reason.

> BTW, if I don't whitelist those relays, it is only a matter of time for
> them to get whitelisted automatically, since they will retry until the
> greylisting filter lets them through, so not whitelisting my relays is
> not a solution here.

The problem is covered in the whitelisting paper and the
clean solutions is that if you do have relays, they
must share the same greylisting database (or equivalently
be proxies rather than relays, relaying each SMTP command
and reply from the master).