[Greylist-users] Exiscan

William Blunn bill--greylist at blunn.org
Tue Mar 9 04:30:44 PST 2004

> > The package
> >
> >   exim4-daemon-heavy
> >
> > apparently already contains the exiscan patch.  The description reads:
>
> I already know about this. I started to install it yesterday. I stopped
> the installation because it said that it was going to remove my current
> install of Exim and replace it with its own install of Exim.

The Debian package "exim4-base" conflicts with the package "exim".

So if you install the Debian "exim4" package, it will remove "exim".

(This would seem to make upgrading a existing live system using "exim" somewhat
tricky.)

> Does that mean that it is gonig to replace graylisting, too?

If you have greylisting, it suggests that you have built your own exim4.

If you have installed it in /usr/local or some such place outside the space
"owned" by the Debian package system, then the binary won't be replaced if you
install the Debian package "exim4".

However Debian exim4 puts its config files at /etc/exim4.  So if that is where
your files are then you run the risk of clashing with Debian.

(You may also match up on /var/{log,spool}/exim4, but this should not break
things).

Bill