[Greylist-users] My problem with greylisting

Barb Dijker barb at netrack.net
Tue Sep 14 08:37:03 PDT 2004

We have delay set to 4 minutes.  That is based on statements from Vern
at DCC about how many real mail servers retry after 5 minutes.  Our
expire is set to 25 hours for those sites that try once a day from the
same IP or IP block.  We like 4 minutes because we've seen lots of
spammers retry multiple times in < 4min.

With this config, our only concerns are those like yahoo groups that
retry from a different IP block each time, and that don't retry at all,
like united flight status, where if the message isn't timely, there is
no point.  The whitelist in the distribution covers most of these.

Barb Dijker
Netrack, Inc., 3080 Valmont Rd Ste 200, Boulder CO 80301
303.938.0188, toll free 1.888.9Netrack, fax 303.938.0177
www.netrack.net