[Greylist-users] amavisd-new + postfix + clamav + greylisting

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Sat Apr 2 09:18:26 PST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 2:27 AM, Eric Brunson wrote:

> Joe Auty wrote:
>
>> Cool!
>>
>> How can I test to verify that this is working?
>
> Don't top quote...
>
> Sqlgrey can be set to add X-Headers, I assume amavis and clamav can
> too.  Configure them to add headers and then send yourself some mail.
> You can also check your postfix logs.

Hmmmm...

Amavis will add X-headers for virus/spam scanning, but I'm not seeing
anything that would suggest greylisting in either my mail headers or
maillog (Postfix log). Maybe if you gave me a rough indication of what
to look for?

I think greylisting might be working because I've read that it can take
a good while for a message to be sent. It did take much longer than
normal to send my first message from my usual accounts to my new
greylisted SMTP server. I understand that there is a database
maintained by postgrey? This database contains a list of "good" servers
so that this transaction time with good SMTP servers is decreased? Am I
right?

If so, would that mean that I shouldn't expect any headers or any
hoopla over messages sent from these SMTP servers at this point?
Specifically, messages come through at their normal speed now without
the initial delay I described above.

I'm also concerned that I may not have installed postgrey properly. I'm
on FreeBSD, and postgrey was complaining about BerkeleyDB 4.1 or
greater not being installed during compile time. There is only a perl
interface to this database available within FreeBSD's ports (which has
a dependency on the Berkeley DB). After installing p5-BerkeleyDB 4.3
via ports (which grabbed a copy of Berkeley DB 4.3 and
compiled/installed it successfully) Postgrey still complained about not
finding BerkeleyDB 4.1 or later. I eventually got Postgrey to compile
with SKIP_BDB_CHECK. Is this a cause for concern?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just flying blind here.... We need
some more how-to greylist guides out there for dummies like me =)

----
Joe Auty
School of Journalism Webmaster
http://www.journalism.indiana.edu
Indiana University, Independent Major Program
http://www.netmusician.org
jauty at indiana.edu
joe at netmusician.org