[Greylist-users] SMTP/AUTH before greylist problem

William Blunn bill--greylist at tao-group.com
Thu Aug 4 03:32:04 PDT 2005

Dave Warren wrote:

> No -- The problem is that *every single time* they configure their
> mail client they have to change the port from 25 to 587.  This results
> in a support cost every time a user needs their client configured.
>
> My instructions have used 587 since the day I added support on my mail
> server, but most people still use 25 because they simply don't bother
> to go into the Advanced options to configure anything even if the
> instructions tell them to do so.

You could block TCP connections to port 25 for hosts inside your
network. That would force people to configure correctly from day one.

Better yet, you could put in a networking rule so that TCP connections
to port 25 originating inside your network are redirected to port 587?

Under netfilter that ought to be something like:

  iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s $mynetwork -p tcp --dport smtp  -j
REDIRECT --to-port 587

Bill
be legally privileged.  If you have received this e-mail and you are not
+44 118 901 2999 and then delete the e-mail from your system.  If you
are not a named addressee you must not copy, use, disclose, distribute,
print or rely on this e-mail.  Any views expressed in this e-mail or any
e-mail and any attachments for viruses.  Tao makes no representation or