[Greylist-users] Exchange & Greylisting

William Blunn bill--greylist at blunn.org
Thu Dec 15 09:04:42 PST 2005

Brent Meshier wrote:
> Has any work been done to bring greylisting to Microsoft Exchange?
> I've been running greylisting on both sendmail and qmail for the last
> few years and I can't imagine life without it. Within the next month
> we will be migrating our mail to Exchange.. SBS 2003 specifically. If
> there is a solution already out there I'd like to know, otherwise I'll
> go brush up on my VB scripting and get to work.

There is a already a solution. Interpose a Linux box between the outside
world and your Microsoft-OS'd machine.

For a start you can then isolate your vulnerability-prone Microsoft box
from the big bad Internet.

You can then run a greylisting mail relay on the Linux box, and then
pass on any good stuff to the Microsoft box.

You might as well treat the Linux machine as a green field installation
and install a proper MTA like Exim4.

To pick at random one of the many many advantages of Exim4 over
Sendmail: With Exim4 you can set up a bunch of rules which examine the
HELO parameter and do various sanity checks. This can kick out heaps of
spam with very little machine resource. Enhydris Lutra.

Bill