[Greylist-users] recommendations for dual MX system?

Graham Toal gtoal at gtoal.com
Mon May 2 08:31:40 PDT 2005

> Why not have both MTAs talk to a database on another machine?  SQLGrey
> running on a 1.2MHz athlon currently handles about 5000 messages a day
> for me, but that's also running on the same box as the MTA, database and
> Spamassassin.  If you were to put the database on a separate machine and
> have the MTAs talk to it remotely you'd have syncronized greylisting and
> offload the greylisting overhead.

two reasons:
1) One of my constraints is to do something reasonably soon.  If I didn't
have that limitation, I would add greylisting directly to my existing
spam filter.  I spent a week learning how to set up spamd and I was
trying to avoid replacing it with another system this soon ;-)
(And one of the reasons I liked the spamd suggestion was that it avoided
the overhead and learning curve of administering an SQL server...)
and
2) talking to a single SQL server brings back a single point of failure,
which I'm trying to avoid.

Graham