[Greylist-users] Comcast & Greylisting

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Sat Dec 9 15:21:03 PST 2006

On 11/29/06 4:08 PM, "Brian Ross" <bross at qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have some secret sauce to deal with this?  I'm loathe to
> just blanket whitelist these IPs.....

Why?  Greylisting is intended to stop mail from things which aren't "real"
mail servers.

Leaving aside the question of whether to greylist by IP or by /24 subnet,
there are IPs one pretty much has to whitelist, because one's customers want
mail from them but they are broken--old versions of Communigate, for one, I
think; Yahoo Groups for another (at least that used to be the case--I've
recently seen a couple of additional blocks of Yahoo Groups servers which
don't seem to follow their old idea that any error of any sort meant the
recipient should be reverted to reading via the web only).

There are IPs one might as well whitelist.  Neighbor ISPs, large ISPs, etc.
They are going to pass greylisting anyhow--why cause delays?  Why cause your
greylisting database to be larger than needed?

Interestingly, your Comcast list and our Comcast list are pretty much
disjoint.  I think I need to take a look at ours (several were added to the
whitelisting database in Oct and Nov of 2004; others in Oct and Nov of 2006,
and yours).  One more thing to do on a rainy weekend.

  --John