[Greylist-users] Got it working! Now a few more questions

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Thu Feb 9 07:46:00 PST 2006

Got the relaydelay script working last night. There were several un-obvious
(to someone who does not work in LINUX all the time) that had to be done.

Anyway, a few more questions.

We only have a small number of users, so on our current mail server have all
the "to" names white-listed and "everything else" blacklisted. This takes a
huge load off the server when there is a new worm going around that tried to
spread by sending e-mail to somename at yourdomain.com ("bob at domain.com" and
"fred at domain.com" etc).

I need to add this to my greylist box, ahead of the relaydelay script - I
would assume.  No need to add a triplet to the MySQL database that contains
a "to name" that will never be accepted by the real mail server.

Is there an easy way to do this?  Keep in mind this server works for several
domain names - so I would like to list the real users like
"steve at domain1.com" and "david at domain2.com" as valid, and exclude every
other name - even "steve at domain2.com" if I can.

I use online blacklists with our current mail server - and it does catch
quite a few messages (not as many as it used to).  What is an easy way to
add the online blacklist looking to my new server?

I would think it would work best if I could do this, in this order:

1) Make sure the to: of the message is to a real user on one of the domains
2) Make sure the from IP / from / mail server is not on one of the online
blacklists
3) Then hit the relaydelay script to wait to see if the sending server will
retry

Does this sound correct?

I am using CentOS 4.2 w/sendmail sendmail-8.13.1-2

Thanks in advance for any help,
Dennis