[Greylist-users] Up and running on the real sever - and I

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Wed Feb 15 12:15:00 PST 2006

Thanks for the replies, Walter and Bill !

Looks like I will be turning down the wait time to much lower.

I should have explained my doublet-triplet idea better. What I was thinking
is - once a triplet has passed the timeout check and had mail allowed
through on that triplet, THEN allow that sender to send to any of my users
from the same IP with the same From: ID.  If I just save the from and IP
then I could get fooled easily by a SPAMmer, but if I make sure that a valid
triplet exists THEN allow the doublet to work.  I may not be a great idea
anyway, since it would involve an extra database query or two. You would
check for an exact match on this triplet and if that fails then check for a
PASSED match on the doublet (from and IP)  and it that fails you would temp
fail it and add it as a triplet to the database.

I still we be looking at some queries, since I will be expected to produce a
list of orphaned triplets there never passed and never were retried - just
to make them happy :-)

But turning it way down on the retry time should answer a lot of user
concerns.

BTW, I was trying to Google up the SMTP RFC to see what the "official" SMTP
rules are for retry time, delays, etc - but could not find what I was
looking for. Is this even listed in the specs or maybe suggested?

I just had my first SPAM to me get through the system. It is disappointing,
but still better that before the new server was in place.

Thanks again,
Dennis

===== Original Message from greylist-users at lists.puremagic.com (Greylisting
Users and Developers Discuss) at 2/15/06 12:38 pm