[Greylist-users] Database performance

Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Mon Jan 23 01:31:16 PST 2006

Hello,

Brian Ross said his database has around 1.2 million rows. Wayne database has
around 4 million rows.

May I have an idea of what trafic level are you handling ? (number or users or
number of connections or messages a day)

Thanks

Jose-Marcio

Wayne Walker wrote:
> Follow Evan's advice, but also add indexes to the tables.  This greatly
> improved the maintenance script run time for me.
>
> BE WARNED!  Adding the indexes will slam your mysql server for a LONG
> TIME (I had 4 million rows in each table (maintenance db hadn't been
> run in a long time) and it took about 15 minutes PER INDEX).
>
> Once I added the indexes, it still took a long time to run, but the
> system was usable during the maintenance db run (it was NOT usable
> before (load would hit 30's and 40's).
>

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 11:05:06PM -0800, Brian Ross wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone has any performance tuning tips for the MySQL
>>db as implemented in relaydelay.
>>
>>We're running the db_maintenance script regularly, expiring
>>approximately 1.25 million rows on a nightly basis with the maintenace
>>taking approximately 1.5 hours.
>>
>>During the maintenance we're turning off our mail relays because the
>>maintenance is so disk intensive that it causes relaydelay to slow down
>>to the point of hitting the milter time out values (yes - I suppose I
>>could look at altering those in the sendmail.cf).
>>
>>Any thoughts on optimization would be appreciated.
>>

>>-Brian

 Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
 Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
 60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr