[Greylist-users] Proper format for a tempfail?

Bob Apthorpe apthorpe at cynistar.net
Tue Jun 13 03:39:01 PDT 2006

Hi,

Ed Mills wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I'm running the Vamsoft version of greylisting on a Win 2000 server.
> One domain is having trouble sending to my domains. Their server makes the
> first attempt, but never retries. Looking at a manual session, I noticed
> that the tempfail given is a slightly different format than that shown in
> the greylist documents.
>
> 	Does anyone know if the format show below for the 451/471 error
> might be the cause of the trouble?

It might be. The hyphens after the response code are unusual but are
clearly laid out in the spec ("4.2.1 Reply Code Severities and Theory"
in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt)

> 	I don't yet know what mailer they're using, but I'm pursuing that.

I wouldn't be surprised if multi-line responses made some off-brand
MTA's choke. For a while I was using a multi-line greeting patch for
Postfix that confused certain spamware; I could see it having that
effect on legit MTAs that weren't built with appropriate attention to
detail.

-- Bob