[Greylist-users] Exploring Greylisting - Initial Block Tim

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Thu Mar 2 18:52:00 PST 2006

In the relaydelay.conf file:

# This determines how many seconds we will block inbound mail that is
#   from a previously unknown [ip,from,to] triplet.  If it is set to
#   zero, incoming mail associations will be learned, but no deliveries
#   will be tempfailed.  Use a setting of zero with caution, as it
#   will learn spammers as well as legitimate senders.
#   If it is set to a negative number (like -1), then the mail will
#   be tempfailed the first time it is seen, but accepted thereafter.
$delay_mail_secs = 58 * 60;  # 58 Minutes

So the time is in seconda. I started out with the default in late testing and
when I first went live. I got a lot of push back from folks about delaying
mail for an hour or more - so I looked in the logs for the first days and
asked here.  Most folks said 1,2, or 3 minutes max.

I ended up picking 55 SECONDS based on thinking of it and looking the logs.
When I had it said for nearly an hour, I had SPAMmers retry for longer than
that and get through. Looking at some that retried and gave up, I had SPAM
appearing entries in the logs that retried a lot for the first few seconds and
then gave up.  So as I said, with a lot of servers retrying at the 30 second
and/or 1 minute point, just under a minute made sense.

Greylisting even with this low number, along with blacklists and the connect
delay have wiped out 95% of so of our SPAM. The rest is so easy for the users
just to ignore or delete that I am not going to even add "MimeDefang" or use
SpamAssassin as I had planned. Everyone now is pretty happy, but I do have to
produce a daily report of missed mail so users can tell me ones I can
whitelist (faulty servers on the other end). I have a php script now (based on
stuff from Paul Venezia on this list) I run for the local users so they can
view the blocked messages for their accout "real time" if they want to.

I had to whitelist things like swa (this is the whitelist file that comes with
the relaydelay.pl) that use unique mail froms and different servers. I have
some other ones similar to what you specify from Bellsouth - the retries come
on various IPs but the same from and to.

One thing to note - we have a small group of users here. So often when I
whitelist I add the IP, exact from and exact to to the file (just like it is
done automatically, but with no expire). I modified the xlist.pl script to do
that. I figure no reason to give a free pass to every machine at that IP if I
don't have to so the manually added, never expires triplet just takes the
place of the auto added triplet that didn't work due to the other end's faulty
mail server.

Dennis

Users and Developers Discuss) =====