[Greylist-users] Stopping "machine gunners" - not really a

Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Thu Mar 16 01:51:50 PST 2006

Brian Ross wrote:
> Jochen Bern has written patch to sendmail which implements a maximum
> "mail from:" limit.
>
> I've played with it a bit in testing and it definitely works, though
> I've only used it in a test environment so I can't  vouch for its use
> in production.  FWIW reading the provided Revision History gives the
> sense that Jochen is working closely with the sendmail community and
> that the patch may be included as a feature in future release.
>
> Here's the URL:
> http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~bern/sendmail/Patch-bm/
>
> I'd be curious to know about your results if you put this into your
> production environment.

It seems to be a good idea, but I'm not sure about the future.

New MTAs (e.g. sendmail X) tries to aggregate messages for the same
destination (same recipient domain MX) and send them in the same connection.

Limiting the number of messages per connection is also a **BIG** problem
 for mailing lists doing things like VERP. I'm talking about normal
mailing lists not spam/bulk mail distribution.

Jose-Marcio

 Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
 Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
 60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr