[Greylist-users] relaydelay

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Tue Feb 20 08:27:02 PST 2007

Hi,

I've recently started using greylisting and whilst am obviously very
impressed with the amount of spam that is caught i am starting to see
some problems that i thought the list will likely have already encountered.

I was surprised to find hotmail sending notification failures to senders
without any attempt at a retry.  This doesn;t seem to be the case across
all hotmail email, but i've definately seen it in my tests. This obv
falls into the category of bad mta's but is there a list maintained of
major providers who won't behave?

I'm also discovering some of the larger mail server farms out there have
a scary amount of distinct mail servers with which to resend mail.  I've
started to whitelist them (both by IP and laterly via cidr notation) but
even then i only see the subset of their network that appears in my logs.

The graylist implementation (graymilter) i'm using is only ip/cidr  as i
understand it, am i likely to alleviate some these problems by using an
implementation that e.g has dns wildcards?

I'd be keen to hear recommendations on which implementation list users
with reasonable traffic levels prefer? ( > 5000 messages a day)

One last thing, i've just spent the afternoon hacking some code to
produce some reports to help highlight any issues before the phone
starts going, but i'm sure there will be some of those out there
already, any recommendations?

thanks

Paul.