[Greylist-users] Any benefit to changing the TEMPFAIL message?

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Thu Jun 19 06:12:00 PDT 2008

I would be worried that changing the tempfail message would alert spammers
that something is up.

If you have users sending mail directly to your mail user their mail
programs, you would expect, would understand the message failed and needs to
be resent. Otherwise, if they are your users just white list their IPs or
the whole range of IPs they are on and the mail will go through every time.

As to servers legit servers that never retry, shame on them :-) . Ones we
know never retry or mangle the mail_from with each attempt or use a mail
server "Farm" with various IPs to send and resend the mail we just white
list as well.  Our users also know to tell folks that are new contacts just
to send their e-mail, wait a couple of minutes, and send it again. Or if
they don't see an expected e-mail after a bit I have a web page / php script
that lets them search to see if they had any bounces (I didn't write it,
just  modified it a little) so they can ask the contact to resend - or they
just ask them to without checking first.

A small price to pay in hassle compared to the tons of spam we don't let in.

Dennis

===== Original Message from greylist-users at lists.puremagic.com
(aewhale at abs-comptech.com, Greylisting Us) at 6/19/08 6:21 am