[Greylist-users] other milters, support, and list traffic.

Kyrian kyrian at ore.org
Sun Jun 29 08:29:19 PDT 2008

I'm here too...

It is, but whoever it was that said this greylisting implementation
tends to 'just work' is about right, as long as you've followed the
instructions and upgraded to a sufficiently recent version of Perl so
you don't get memory leaks, of course.

So quite right, there is not much need for a lot of mailing list
traffic. I'd be perfectly happy if this list was just used to suggest
whitelist updates.

There are 'enough' people on this list for a degree of support to
happen, and if you're really desperate, just wave cash at anyone (like
me) who has a 'I am a linux consultant' in their footer, surely? ;-)
Perhaps some kind of Wiki for this system would be in order though?

However I do wish people would learn to quote things at least a little
bit and not include 5 footers in a row in their emails, or worse yet,
the whole of the digest newsletter, and without even changing the
subject of the message!

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:10:50 -0400
> From: Rob Morin <rob at dido.ca>
> Postgrey is very good,  it helps your systems scan less potential spam
> email by first verifying smtp via postgrey.

There's not *too much* (some, but not much) need to change MTA to get
extra features, as stated...
> There are other sendmail/postfix compatible milters doing that. Take a
> look at

My research on this ended up going for bm-milter (which does
sender/recipient validation), which seems to work, and I've issued a
number of patches (although I should update them) for it to better suit
a virtual hosting environment with mixed onward destination types
(mailboxes, virtual domains, mailertable), etc...

Of course you need to be careful about a number of factors, perhaps most
importantly to have it run before greylisting; there's no point in
greylisting for an address you already know does not exist, eh?

HOWEVER if anyone knows how to get the SMTP-timing based protections
that Exim has (client must not send "MAIL From" before the "HELO" has
been acknowledged, and similar for the "RCPT To" and "MAIL From") then I
would be very grateful for a heads-up as it's really good functionality,
apart perhaps from the log spam it generates. Sadly I don't think the
milter framework is up to this?

K.

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian. E: kyrian&#64;ore.org WWW: http://kyrian.ore.org/