[MudWalker] Some ideas for new features

pack-mudwalker@rattus.net pack-mudwalker
Fri Jun 4 02:25:33 PDT 2004

First of all, I've been using mudwalker for a couple of months and think
that it's a fantastic client.

I have a few ideas for new features of mudwalker that I'm curious to see
what other people think about.

1)  multiple matching command aliases

I think it would be nice to be able to map multiple commands to a single
alias function (which could check which command actauly ran it) so that
a script to for example overload all the direction commands could be
mapped to n,s,e,w, etc and then pay attention to which way you were
walking (or do various events as you left the room)

While this could be done with multiple command matching, it would be
very difficult to maintain, particularly without part 2) below.

2) Common functions

A lot of the scripts and aliases would seem to be much easier if
the facility existed to maintain a library of additional functions which
could be called from inside aliases or scripts. I'm not sure whether any
external lua space is accessible from inside mudwalker -- this might be
a way to do this.

3) Variable inspector.

It would be helpful if something existed that could allow you to
inspect all the variables present in the Lua namespace, particularly
for debugging.

4) larger windows for scripting/heirarchial storage of scripts/triggers/
aliases

Now I'm starting to build up a more complex set of triggers and
suchlike, the fairly small default editing windows and way that the
script editing is fairly subordinate to the settings window is starting
to be crampy. Could that functionality, sice some people do scripting
elsewhere be broken out? How about allowing a development state where
all the scripts were edited outside MW in a directory structure in some
other editor before being brought back in when you were finished.

Also, it would be nice if there was some folder/structure that you could
use to organise the large number of scripts that you tend to generate.

I'm curious to know what people think about these, and can hopefully put
some development effort into anything that's popular enough.

--
Packrat (BSc/BE;COSO;Wombat Implementor)
Nihil illegitemi carbovndvm