[MudWalker] Some ideas for new features

Jeffrey Sult blastron
Fri Jun 4 11:41:13 PDT 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 11:32 PM, pack-mudwalker at rattus.net wrote:

> 1)  multiple matching command aliases

Actually, this capability already exists.  Using Lua scripts, you can
have a whole bunch of stuff happen when using a command.  Let's see...
ALIAS:  walk
SCRIPT:
@@if lastwalk=="north" then
	north
@@	prevwalk=lastwalk
@@	lastwalk="north"
@@elseif lastwalk=="northeast" then
	northeast
@@	prevwalk=lastwalk
@@	lastwalk="northeast"
...(continues through all the directions)...
@@else
@@message("No previous direction!")
@@end

Now, this would, when you typed WALK, go in the last direction you
went, stored in the variable lastwalk.  If no direction had been given,
it would put that message on your screen.  Now, to get it configured,
for each direction you'd need...

ALIAS: north
SCRIPT:
north
@@prevwalk=lastwalk
@@lastwalk="north"

... so that, when you move on your own, it will track the last
direction you went in.  Now, here's why it's been so complicated:

TRIGGER: There is no exit in that direction.
SCRIPT:
@@if prevwalk=="north" then
@@	if lastwalk=="north" then
		northeast
@@		lastwalk="northeast"
@@	elseif lastwalk=="northeast" then
		northwest
@@		lastwalk="northwest"
...(continues on, through every possible cardinal direction, and the
ins/outs ups/downs if you so choose, with the opposite direction from
the prevwalk variable being the very last)

So this basically works using two variables.  The prevwalk variable,
which is used to store the last successful direction you went (the
direction you went to get to this room), and the lastwalk variable,
which is used to store the last direction you attempted to go.  After
trying to go the exact same direction you went

> 2) Common functions

Great idea, I'd like to see that too.  Maybe define 'em in the
connection script...?

> 3) Variable inspector.

Oooooooooh!

> 4) larger windows for scripting/heirarchial storage of
> scripts/triggers/
> aliases

Well, you can probably just download the source code and edit the
window sizes in Interface Builder. :)

> Also, it would be nice if there was some folder/structure that you
> could
> use to organise the large number of scripts that you tend to generate.

I think that that's already in development, or at least listed under
the "to be done" in the notes sections of the source code.

> I'm curious to know what people think about these, and can hopefully
> put
> some development effort into anything that's popular enough.

That would be great :)